Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Switching venues...


I fished the Grand and the Chagrin this evening.  I caught a drop back hen in the deep slow end of a run.  She took a caddis pattern that I was trying for the first time. I guess it worked.  I fished up river a bit and caught a small mouth.  It was a small resident fish, but it was the first smallie of the year.  I caught the smallie on an egg pattern.  At about 7:00, I drove to the Chagrin.  I got there about an hour before dark and fished a section near the mouth of the river that I fish a lot in the fall.  I was hoping the bump in flow from this morning’s rain was enough to bring in some fresh fish.  I fished the fast water at the head of a run and hooked into 2 fish only to lose them.  I worked through the run with no other hook ups.  I went down river and worked part of the next run, but there was another angler fishing there, he only left about 20 feet for me to fish.  I fished that section and went back to try the head of that run where I hooked into a couple of fish.  I figured I would have another shot at a fish there after giving it a rest.  I drifted through and hooked up right away, and again lost the fish.  I drifted the same line again and hooked up; this time it was solid hook up and I had a fish on.  The fish immediately leaped out of the water and cartwheeled.  Then it went nose down and went a couple of runs making my reel scream.  The fish did couple of more cartwheels and went on several more runs before I beached it.  It was a bright shiny chrome “skipper”.  This was one hot fish.  It fought like a much larger fish.  I found fresh chrome like I had hoped.  It’s good to see a push of fresh fish.  With the low flows and warm temps we’ve had I was afraid things were winding down.  After I released that fish, I continue to fish until dark with no more success.  All in all it was a good day on the water.

                                                                 Drop back on a caddis

                                                                First smallie of 2010

                                                                         Fresh chromer