Saturday, April 24, 2010

Football anyone?


I got up at 5:30 this morning to go fishing.  Much to my dismay, there was no coffee in the house!  5:30 with no coffee is tough… I felt stupid all morning.  I wiped the sleep out of my eyes and packed up my stuff.  I arrived at the river about 10 minutes before dawn.  I was the first angler there today and was rewarded appropriately.  I caught a buck right off the bat.  Now that the skunk had been wiped out I was feeling good, even without the coffee.  I got right back at it and hooked up with a big feisty fish.  It ran down river, then charged me, and then jumped while moving up river.  It was a very thick buck!  I fought the fish up and back down river.  I worked the fish in fighting through several hard runs and cartwheels.  This fish took me all the way into the next run down stream from where I hooked up before I landed him.  He took my small black stone fly pattern.  I got a couple of good pics of the fish, yet they do not do justice to the girth of this fish.  He was about 30”-32” long, but had excellent girth. This fish was truly like a regulation NFL football. It had huge shoulders.  Next, I hooked a fresh chrome jack; this time on an egg pattern.  This fish was hot and fresh and fought like a much larger fish. I love it when these small fish are full of fight.  It fills me with respect for the steelhead and makes me appreciate this fabulous fishery I have at my doorstep.  The next hook up was another fresh jack.  This fish was hooked right by the far bank in a fast run.  It jumped into the bank and broke me off over a rock.  It’s hard to describe what occurred, but it was a remarkable feet of acrobatics.  I was sorry to lose the fish, yet I was amazed at how it got away.  The last steelhead I caught was tiny by steelhead standards, it was the size of a rainbow, and I would say it was about 12".  It too was full of fight.  I tried to bring it in and grab it since it was so small and it flipped out jumping and flopping all over the place.  I also caught two sucker fish, one was a trophy sucker about the size of a steelhead.  It was a good morning on the river.  I left around 11:00 to go to brunch; I needed that first cup of coffee!     

                                                                        Skunk killer

                                                            My stone fly was killin'em today

                                                                  Football anyone?