Friday, April 30, 2010

The fat lady is singing...

We finally got some rain and the rivers blew out and have dropped into shape. On Wednesday, I heard reports of fresh chromers being caught. I decided to go out and fish Wednesday evening. The flow was fishable, but the visibility was minimal. I would say there was 6”-8” of visibility. I didn’t expect to do well, but I wanted to fish. I went to a popular access point to find the place to myself. I fished a good run and didn’t get a hit. I moved up river to a spot where there is a ledge that prohibits up-river migration which tends to stack fish up just below the ledge. I hooked up right away and landed an average sized buck steelhead that took a pink estaz egg. It was a drop back fish. I had one other hook up while I was on the river that day. I think it was a foul hooked fish, but I have no way to know. It threw the hook before I got a look at it. I fished again tonight (Friday) and went 1 for 2. The fish I caught was a drip back. I didn’t get a look at the other fish; I had a bad knot and it broke off before I got a look at the fish. I heard from the guys at the fly shop that the steelhead are moving out of the system. The season has ended. It’s consistent with what I’ve seen, no fresh fish. All drop backs found near the lake. I hear the fat lady singing.  This could be it for the season.

As steelhead season winds down, Pennsylvania trout season is just kicking into high gear. In fact I hear the sulphurs are starting to hatch! I’m planning to fish PA a couple of times before I begin law school at the end of May. I’m hoping to make at least two trips to PA, one to the Alleghany State Park region, and the other to the State College area. I’ll write more about my PA excursions as they occur.


                                                              Wednesday's fish on the Estaz egg

                                                                 See the estaz egg?

                                                                        Friday's steelhead

                                            This fish fell victim to the rubber leg steelhead prince