Friday, April 16, 2010

Boobie prize

I was out on Wednesday and Thursday night fishing. Wednesday night I went to the the upper Chagrin and Thursday I went to the Grand. I fished both rivers hard with no success. I caught a sucker fish on Wednesday night and a creek chub on Thursday. The water has been low on both rivers. The Grand is exceptionally low and clear. The Chagrin had decent color, but not many fish. I fished the runs and pools; nobody was home. I changed flies several times and nothing. I did see one guy snag a fish; he was the only other angler I saw and the fish was the only steelhead that was caught. It was his first steelhead ever, he did not know what he was doing. I don't think he meant to snag the fish. I took a picture for him since it was his first fish ever, foul hooked or not. The water had some color to it, and about 18" of vis (+ -). The fishing should have been great based on water conditions. I saw a few fish spawning. There is one run that ALWAYS produces at least one fish for me and it was void of fish on Wednesday. I don't think the fresh fish have been able to move up. It seems like most of the drop backs have moved down river and the only fish remaining in the upper section of the Chagrin are the few fish that are still spawning. I did manage to catch a sucker fish so I didn't get completely skunked, just no chrome. It was the boobie prize. I had a good couple of weeks, one bad day doesn't ruin the season for me. The section of the Grand I fished on Thursday had some fish spawning, but no drop backs or fresh fish in the runs or pools. I fished several spots that were producing fish a few days ago with no success. It was frustrating for the only fish brought to hand to be a chub. It rained some today and the forecast is calling for rain tonight; I sure hope we get a good soaking to push the flows up and bring in some fresh fish and distribute the fish already in the system.