Thursday, April 22, 2010

a beautiful day on the river

I fished the Grand last night from about 4:00 until dark. I fished lower down because of the low water conditions.  The fish have been concentrated in the lower sections of all the rivers because of the low flow; there is not enough flow for them to move up stream.  It was nice, sunny, and about 70 degrees.  I walk down to the river and there were like 10 guys stacked in one run (why does this seem to happen everywhere?).  I went down stream from those guys and began fishing a deep slow run.  I caught a nice chrome fish just after I arrived. As I was fighting the fish, I was walking towards the bank to bring the fish in and I tripped over a large piece of concrete rubble. I managed to keep from falling in the water, but I banged my shin hard and I put a hole in my waders. The fall damaged the outside of the waders, I don’t know if it caused a leak.  Water did not come in right away.  I need to buy some aqua seal and fix that hole. After catching the fresh fish, the fish in that spot shut down. I moved up river, past the big group, but the fishing was real slow despite seeing many fish porpoising. As it began to get dark things picked up for me. I caught two more steelhead one in a fast chute and the other was caught in a run below where a creek came into the main river. We need rain and the cool down that seems to be coming our way. The river was way low and the fish were spooked.