Sunday, April 18, 2010

Steelhead season is not over yet


I got up at 5:30 this morning to go fishing.  There was a little bit of rain on Friday and Saturday, just enough for a small bump in the flow.  I decided to go to the lower section of the river since there was not enough water for a good push of fresh chrome to make it too far up river.  I began fishing at 6:45 as the sun began to come up and it was cold and windy.  There was one other angler there when I arrived on the water.  I began fishing the head of a run, working the bucket below the riffle.  I fished down the run with no contact with any fish yet.  As I got to the middle of the run, the deepest spot I hooked up.  It was at the end of a drift, and I surprised to have a fish on.  The fish jumped and a minute later it was gone, it had broken off. It broke at knot.  It must have been poorly tied.  Not the way I wanted to start the morning.  I re-rigged and began working the same general are were I had just hooked up.  Before long, I had another fish on.  I landed this fish.  It was a small steelhead, nothing noteworthy, but it put me on the boards and got the skunk out of my bag.  I fumbled the camera and the fish flopped away before I could get a pic.  I continued to fish and hooked up again in no time.  I landed this fish too.  It was in bad shape.  It looked like the fish had its throat ripped out.  I took a pic of its good side and quickly released the fish. 



I fished down through the run, crossed the river and went up the other side of the run.  I had no luck.  I crossed the river again above the run and began fishing down the run again after I gave it a rest.  Nothing in the bucket this time either.  I got to the same spot where I had all my other hook ups and fished the far seem.  I had a solid hook up and had a fish on.  It leaped out of the water and ran down river.  I fought the fish for a while eventually landing it for the obligatory photo.  It was a decent buck; things were getting better. 

I went back to the honey hole and quickly hooked up again, this time with a large fish.  As soon as the fish was hooked it shot out of the water like a rocket, it ran up river, ran down river, went bank to bank and then took off down river for the lake.  I ran after the fish and worked it to the bank.  Sadly, I foul hooked this fish.  It fought hard and I really had to work to land that fish.  It took skill to land that fish with out breaking off.  I was proud to land that fish foul hooked or not.  I got a nice pic of the fish.  

 I had a little more time to fish before I had to take off for an appointment. I fished the bucket hard since I had pressured the gut of the run all morning.  I hooked up with a “jack” that was chrome and hot.  It leaped into the air and somersaulted a few times before I worked it to shore for a pic. 

  After releasing the chromer, I went back to work on the bucket.  I hooked up with a nice big and angry buck.  It jumped and ran up river into the shallows.  It snagged the other fly on a rock and broke me off, doah!  I left for an appointment and had lunch with my girl.  After lunch, I headed back to the river.  I went up river from where I was this morning.  I fished a nice sexy run and hooked up right away, and lost the fish.  It was a bright fresh fish.  I worked this run through and had another hook up, but landed no fish.  I fished down river and on my way back, I fished this run again.  I hooked into a nice buck that jumped and ran.   A short time into this fight, the fish wrapped me around something under the surface; the fish broke off and left me snagged.  When I pulled my line out, it moved the float down the leader leaving the leader all curled and actually broke the float.  This fish trashed my rig.  I re-rigged and fished the rest of the way up this run.  I hooked into a nice fish on the second or third cast after I re-rigged.  I had this fish on and eventually landed a nice drop back hen.  This was the sixth fish of the day and I had to head out.  It was a great of day fishing despite the cold temps and the wind.   

         
While on the river this afternoon I saw a buzzard.  It was picking at a dead fish.  I have never seen one before so I took this pic.  I also saw a pack of deer this morning, and many rare wild anglers...

These guys lined up and all fished in the same spot all morning, what a bunch of goofballs.  None of them caught anything all morning.  If you are fishing in a spot and not catching anything, how does it make sense to continue to fish the same spot over and over again when it's not producing?