Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Almost famous, but not really...

The guys at the fly shop posted my picture on their blog! I caught that fish on Thursday of last week. This fish was one of the biggest fish I have caught this spring. She was a fresh fish just in from the lake (you can tell because she was still all silver and hadn’t started changing color yet), she fought like a lion leaping into the air several times and running up and down river. I had this stretch of river to myself. There was another angler about 100-150 yards down river from me. That guy was nice enough to walk up and take this picture for me. It’s unusual for me to have someone around to get a picture of me with a fish. Usually, I hike and find a spot to fish all alone. I like to get away from the crowds as one of the pleasures of fishing for me is the piece and quite I find on the river. I really enjoy the sounds of the river and observing wildlife as I fish. I’ve been lucky enough to see bald eagles, hawks, deer, wild turkeys, otter, beaver, and all the typical woodland creatures (chipmunks, squirrels, birds, etc.) when out fishing. You don’t get that when there are 20 guys hooting and hollering on the river. One angler I know, who feels the way I do about the crowd, describes the crowded conditions on the river as “NASCAR fishing”. Mostly because of the kinds of guys who will stack up in hole and spend the entire day in that one spot smoking and drinking beer; they are your typical “NASCAR” fans. You can read “red neck” here too.

http://chagrinriveroutfitters.blogspot.com/2010_04_01_archive.html