Friday, June 15, 2012

Night of the Crappie



I went out last night and fished from 8:00-9:30pm.  I fished a spot that I fish at often.  I have fished this stretch of river every summer for the last four or five years.  I thought I knew every hole, and each fish by first name.  Each summer I catch one, maybe two white crappie in this stretch.  Last night I caught three white crappie in one night!  The first came with a flash of silver and a nice tug, it turned out to be a real slab.  I caught two others that were not as big, but were still good sized crappies.  I also caught a really big smallmouth.  Normally this smallmouth would have been the highlight of the night, and it was a joy to catch.  Last night was the special and unique because of the crappie trifecta.  It seemed almost like the crappie outnumber the smallmouth here based on my catch rate last night, but I know its the other way around.