Saturday, June 16, 2012

Green Trout


I went out for an hour after work yesterday.  I fished a stretch of river that is about a 15 minute drive down stream from my house.  It's a short stretch of fishable water about a quarter mile of access.  Going upstream, there are two pools, then some pocket water before a bend in the river where the river transitions into frog water.  The first two pools were a bust.  The pocket water usually fishes well, but most of the pocket water was too low to hold fish yesterday.  I picked off a very aggressive fish in the last pocket before the frog water.  This bass leaped out of the water like a wild rainbow and continued to fight more like a trout than a bass, finally when I landed the fish, it was long and slender like a trout.  This smallmouth was basically a green trout.  I fished the tailout of the frog water near where a small creek dumps in and caught a few other small bass before heading home for dinner.