Thursday, June 14, 2012

Cuyahoga Valley National Park


Its name means crooked river.  Clevelanders know it as the burning river.  The Cuyahoga earned the nickname burning river because the water on the river caught fire.  While it caught fire at least 13 times in its history, the Cuyahoga River claimed its name after the 1969 fire brought the river into the national spot light as the most polluted river in the country.  That fire resulted in the Clean Water Act and the creation of the EPA.  

Just south of where I live we have a wonderful natural resource, Cuyahoga Valley National Park.  The park has been there my whole life, when I was younger it was a National Recreation Area.  In 2000 Cuyahoga Valley was upgraded to a National Park.  I’ve driven through the park to get to places like Blossom Music Center or Peninsula Ohio, but I have never hiked around or fished in the park.  The Towpath Trail runs through the park along the Cuyahoga River from Akron to Cleveland.

I’d always avoided fishing the Cuyahoga because its reputation for being polluted.  A few years ago I began to hear stories about people fishing the Cuyahoga for steelhead and more recently for small mouth bass.  After hearing about huge small mouth caught with big crayfish sticking out of their gullet I decided I had to go fish the crooked river that caught fire years ago.

My wife came with me.  She walked the towpath trail while I fished the river.  I was surprised at the size of this river.  It is big water, actually huge water compared to the upper Chagrin where I normally fish for small mouth.  I covered about a quarter mile stretch of water rather quickly since I only had two hours before I was supposed to meet my wife at the car.  I accessed the river at a bridge near the parking lot.  I fished under the bridge and down river a bit where I caught a 10” smallie.  Ok, I got the skunk off, but it was not an impressive fish by any means.  I walked up stream and around the bend to where a braided section of river came back together.  This water looked very fishy, I was sure there was a huge bass lurking in there.  I tried everything.  I swung and stripped streamers.  I dead drifted and slowly stripped crayfish through the pool.  I even fished poppers on the seams and near the rocky bank.  I only had one fish follow and refuse a foot away from the rod tip.  I just couldn’t catch a fish.

I made sure I was back at the bridge where I started about 10 minutes before I was supposed to meet my wife.  I called her to see where she was, she was about 15 minutes away.  I decided to fish the up-stream side of the bridge where I only devoted a couple of casts when I began fishing.  I caught another smallmouth in the soft water between the bank and the bridge column.  I released the fish and continued to work that area.  Something smashed the crayfish fly and pulled hard.  I felt a few head shakes, saw a flash of bronze and the line went limp.  I lost a huge smallmouth!!  I put several more casts into the area, but that fish was not going to be fooled a second time.  The phone rang as I was changing flies.  As I answered the phone I dropped the fly in the water losing it, I reeled in my line; it was time to go.

The National Park is beautiful and the Cuyahoga has a healthy population of smallmouth.  I managed to catch a few fish the first time out.  I will definitely be back.  There is so much to explore and miles of new water to fish.