Monday, June 11, 2012

Crayfish, its whats for dinner

I got out for a couple of hours on Friday night.  I caught a few smallmouth, some creek chubs and a few rock bass.  One of the rockbass was a real slab of a fish.  The fish of the day was also the fish of the summer so far.  It was an 18" beast of a smallmouth.  All the fish I caught that night were on a crayfish pattern.  When I landed this huge small mouth I noticed its last meal was still sticking out of its gullet.  The bass had eaten a HUGE crayfish.  The crayfish's large claw and an antenna was sticking out of the fish's gullet, but you could tell it was more like a small lobster than a  crayfish.  This thing had to be four or five times the size of my fly.   Big food = big fish.  I need to tie some bigger crayfish flies.





Check out the cool black edges on its fins


Mmm... crayfish!