Sunday, June 24, 2012

Big crayfish for big smallmouth


Most books on smallmouth fishing say to fish small crayfish flies because the big crayfish put up too much of a fight and the little ones are an easy meal.  It makes sense; big crayfish with big claws are going to nip something in the fight.  I’ve caught some big bass on small crayfish flies too.  Earlier this summer, I caught a big bass with a huge crayfish sticking out of its gullet.  At that point I knew I needed to get some big crayfish flies.  I finally got a nice big size 2 crayfish fly with some really big lead eyes to sink it.  I caught three smallmouth on this fly today and all were nice fat bass.  The critics agree, big crayfish catch big smallmouth. 





On a side note, people are pigs.  I picked up a bunch of trash on my way out today.  I threw away some tangled up fishing line, an empty granola bar box and granola bar rappers, and a kid’s raft.  I’m sure the raft got away accidentally, that’s why they prohibit them in the park.

I saw a snapping turtle and an orange koi fish.  Someone must have dumped the koi fish in the river, they certainly are not native.  I took pictures of both under water.  The snapper is hard to see because it was getting dark and the water was deep and dark.  It was pretty cool to see these critters.