Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Afternoon on Neshannock

Since I couldn’t go to Central PA, I began looking for afternoon and day trip opportunies closer to home.  It turned out the heavy rain missed Western PA, but provided enough water to cool the streams and bring water levels up to normal from levels.  On Thursday of two weeks ago, I headed to Neshannock creek in hopes of catching the brown drake hatch.  I got there I didn’t see any bugs on the water, but there were a ton of bugs in the air.  I saw a number of rises and quickly began casting a dry fly to the rise forms.  I started catching shiners and creek chubs.  It turned out the trout were not really rising.  As the afternoon faded into evening, I saw a couple of trout sporadically rise, but couldn’t bring any to the surface.  All I had to show for my trip were a few shiners and creek chubs… it was a real disappointment.