Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Bluegills on dry flies


After a long day studying civil procedure I had hit the wall.   As I was reading the material, my mind would wonder, I was reading and understanding each word as I read it but I could not remember what I had read when I finished a sentence.  It was about an hour before my wife would be home for dinner so it seemed like a good idea to take a little break.  It was gorgeous outside, so I decided I’d take a little break before dinner to clear my head so I could get the most out of studying after dinner.  I decided to go to a pond down the street from my house where I could toss some dry flies at bluegill for a little while.  I’ve never fished for bluegills with a fly rod and I wanted to work on dry fly techniques to prepare for trout fishing in PA.  I had great fun!  It was nonstop action; I must have caught fifty fish in like a half hour.  It was like fishing for gills with a bobber and worms as a kid.  I even caught a couple of juvenile largemouth bass on an ant pattern.  When my wife called for me to meet her for dinner, I felt the same kind of “just a few more casts” feeling I had as a kid when my mom would whistle from the house for me to come in for dinner on a summer evening.