Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Now that's a little more like March...

It’s hard to believe we went from 80+ degrees to 37 degrees as the high temp in just a couple of days, but we did.  I added a few layers and headed out.  It was a nice sunny day.  The water temp was in the low 50s so the fish should have been comfortable.  I fished the same spot I caught the last steelhead and landed two more and lost a third that was a good size.  The first fish was a nice sized hold over buck looked all beat up.  It had another angler's woolybugger stuck in its jaw when I landed it.  The second steelhead was a small pretty fresh buck, it had started forming a kype but was still pretty silver.  The water was pretty clear leaving only a couple of dark green holes for fish to hide in.  The good part about this is its easy to find the fish, the bad part is they are really easily spooked in the low clear water.  The river usually has a bit more of a stain to it at 300 cfs, but it had several days to clear after the last rain event despite the higher flow.  After fishing through the fishiest water, I moved downstream and had a popular section all to myself.  I had a few more fish on and off and caught a sucker before packing it in for the day.  Overall the fishing was OK, it should have been better.  I think the steelhead were kind of shocked from the big swing in water temperature that peaked out at 72 degrees an then dropped to 47 degrees in 4 days!  The low clear water and high bright sun didn't help thing either.  It was nice to be out and I caught a couple of steelhead so it was a good trip out anyway.