Sunday, March 25, 2012

Monster Smallmouth

It rained Friday night witch cooled things down a bit.  The air was about 60 when I went out and the water had cooled down from about 72 on Friday to about 65 on Saturday morning.  This was a much more comfortable temperature for trout.  I fished Saturday morning before the stream rose from the rain on Friday night.  It was somewhat high and already off color.  I decided that swinging a big black egg sucking leach was a good way to drum up a fish or two giving the stream’s conditions.  I only had about two hours to fish so I went to the park near my house.  I swung through the prime run first and got a nice grab, the fish was on and off before I got a glimpse of it.  It hammered the fly, I think it was a steelhead, but I have no way to know.  I worked down the rest of the run and into the next without another grab.  I walked up stream to a good run and fished through it, no one was home.  I made one swing through a large pocket and got hammered!  It felt like a steelhead, and it put a nice bend in the rod.  I worked the fish in and landed the largest small mouth bass I’ve caught in the stream.  It was big enough that in may have been a lake run fish or a huge resident.  I worked down through the next run and had one more grab.  I saw a flash of white before I lost the fish so I really think it was a steelhead, but again no way to know.  Again, another outing without a steelhead.  It's getting sooo frustrating!