Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Heading Out West



The trout fishing in Yellowstone country is supposed to be epic.  Blizzard like hatches and big terrestrials make for some amazing dry fly fishing to large and aggressive trout.  This is the stuff legends are made of.  This is a place that every fly angler should have on his bucket list.  Many of the rivers in this area are world famous blue ribbon trout streams.  Big name streams like the Henry’s Fork, the Yellowstone River, the Madison River, and the Snake River attract thousands of fly anglers every year.  I may fish some of the famous waters, but I intend to seek out some of the lessor known fisheries.  I’m looking to fish streams that are known as gems to the locals but don’t get all the tourists because they are overshadowed by the more famous waters in the region.  These rivers are more wild, get less fishing pressure, and offer the chance for some fantastic fly fishing.


I have a buddy who used to live in Eastern Idaho.  He’s been telling me stories about the fishing near Jackson, WY since he’s been back.  While it sounded amazing at first, I didn’t think much of it.  That’s a far off destination that costs a fortune to get to and requires at least a week to visit.  I didn’t expect to be able to go to a place like that for a long time because of school and other commitments.  I sort of tucked the idea of a trip out West in the back of my mind and focused on trout destinations within a few hours from home.  Slowly, over long days spent in the law library, the thought of Yellowstone country and aggressive cutthroat trout began to creep into my thoughts.  I started reading about the area’s streams and blog accounts of other fishing trips to the area.  My buddy went back to Wyoming and Idaho last summer for 10 days.  He returned with pictures and stories of huge trout caught on big dry flies.  The idea of fishing out West began to haunt my thoughts.  This led to the start of a fantasy about going to Yellowstone this summer.  I didn’t really think I’d get it together to go, but I thought about it anyway.  That fantasy slowly developed into a plan.  Plan has come together; I’m thrilled and excited to say that I’ve booked my trip to trout Mecca!


Yellowstone country includes a vast area that stretches from southern Montana into the Jackson Hole area of Wyoming and West into Eastern Idaho.  I’ll be fishing rivers in Idaho, and Wyoming for sure and I’m going to try to fish the Madison in Montana as well.  I will mainly be pursuing cutthroat trout, but there are also rainbows, browns, brook trout, bull trout, cutbows, and lake trout swimming in the waters there.  The trip will take me to Jackson Hole, Eastern Idaho, Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park.  The wildlife and scenery promise to be amazing.  With the Teton Range in the background, there is a good chance of seeing grizzly bears, moose, wolves, big horn sheep, and herds of bison and elk.  It’s a little concerning to know I have to buy bear spray and watch out for rattlesnakes, but to catch wild trout you have to go to wild places… and this is one of the wildest places left in the lower 48.