Sunday, March 25, 2012

Finally...

Today was the day I killed the steelhead skunk!  I finally caught a steelhead this afternoon.  It’s been about a year since I've caught a steelhead in the spring of 2011.  The air temp was a nice cool 55 degrees; the water temp was a cozy 61 degrees for the trout.  It was overcast, the water had a good flow and there was about 18 inches if visibility.  I had like an hour and a half to fish.  I felt like I had a good shot at a steelhead today.  I talked to a couple of other angler and word was guys were catching fish mid river.  I drove to the stream and leaving me about an hour to fish.  I started swinging down through a nice long run.  Nothing.  I had about 15 minutes left before I had to head back to the car.  I rerigged the with an egg and steelhead prince.  I walked back up stream to the juicy part of the run and begin nymphing the prime water.  I got hung up on the bottom; I adjusted the indicator, and made the next drift.  I hung up again, another adjustment.  Cast, mend, and drift… the indicator stops… I set the hook out of instinct and I see the silvery and white shape of a steelhead rise from the bottom!  The fight was on, the fish made a run down stream.  I put pressure on the fish and it turning and ran straight at me; I put the rod tip high and picked up line as fast as I could to keep pressure on the fish.  A short while later and I landed my first steelhead of the year!  It’s about damn time.  This fish made my month.