Thursday, September 10, 2009

Ripped Off!!!

Last night I went out to the river at about 6:30, sun set is at 7:50 now. It get’s completely dark by 8:35. The water was stained and running a little higher than it has in the last few weeks. I saw a lot of fish feeding on the surface, mostly baitfish I think. I tried casting streamers and poppers to the areas where I saw surface activity with no success. I worked my way across the river to a deep spot near the far bank and stripped a popper across the pool; this effort produced a little smallmouth, nothing exciting. I worked my way down river with no hits. It was dark by this time; I already had the headlamp on. I decided this was going to be the last pool I’d fish before heading back to the car, on the second cast I felt something that felt like a tug and went to set the hook, when I did this my fly was ripped right off. I don’t know if I had hooked a fish or a log or what. I don’t think it was a small mouth, if it was a fish it was probably a carp. Either way my fly got ripped off! I felt robbed. At least I caught the little bass earlier and wasn’t skunked.