Friday, September 4, 2009

After work action...

I left work yesterday and went down to the river for about two hours.  I was way up river from where I fished on Wednesday.  The water was not as muddy as it was the day before, but it was stained with only about 12" of visibility.  Maybe the water was all muddy on Wednesday from the rain not road construction?  At this point I'm not sure.  It was a nice afternoon to be out on the river, it was about 73 degrees, and was sunny.  I fished an area that I fish pretty frequently and found the fishing to be slow.  I only caught two smallies, and one creek chub.  One of the smallies was average size, the other was small, the creek chub was tiny.  The larger smallie was taken on a popper.  I saw a fish break the surface near where I was dead drifting a crayfish so I tied on the popper and cast just above where I saw the disturbance in the water a moment before.  It took a few casts but the bass could not resist the tasty looking popper.  I caught this bass on the same blue gill popper I had great success with a little while back, there is a photo of the fly in the entry titled Top Water Action.  A picture of the bass I caught yesterday is below.