Saturday, September 26, 2009

Bass before the rain


I went out this morning and hit the river a little later than I hoped.  I got there at about 8:15.  The sky was gray, the water was low and clear; I thought it would be a decent outing.  I fished down river from where I walked in.  I fished through about three quarters of the water accessible on this section of stream and I only had one fish bite.  Sadly, I lost the fish due to a dull hook point.  I had gotten hung up on a rock moments before I lost the fish and failed to inspect the hook point after I snagged.  Needless to say I had a fish on and lost it because of my negligence.  At this point I started to wonder why the fishing was so bad, cold front coming in, dropping pressure, low clear water; who knows.  Places that normally hold fish were not producing anything this morning.  I started swinging through a faster run and bam, fish on.  This fish pulled hard making it clear that this was a sizable fish. I worked the fish in and brought it to hand.  It was a very nice smallmouth, a large fish for this area.  At this point I felt like the slow morning was worth the wait.  This was the fish of the day, a picture is below.  I caught another smallie that was slight larger than average and a small rock bass to finish out the morning.  Just after releasing the rock bass, noticed a slight drizzle.  At this point I thought to myself, I need to get back to the car before it rains.  I didn't bring a rain jacket because I thought it was supposed to rain this afternoon, not this morning.  As I walked back to the car it started raining and progressively came down harder and harder.  I got my gear in the car and jumped in with my waders and boots on because had I waited a moment longer I would have gotten drenched.  Just as I closed the door it went from a rain to an out right downpour.  I made it to the car just in time to avoid getting completely soaked and I caught a good size bass; I felt like I had a lucky morning.