Saturday, September 12, 2009

Leaky waders...

I went out fishing early this morning. The air temp was about 60 degrees at my house, it's usually a little cooler on the river at the bottom of the valley.  I decided to wear waders to be comfortable.  My old pair of waders have been repaired several times, and I found out this morning they are still taking on water.  I already bought a new pair of Simms waders.  I haven't worn them yet because I was saving them for Steelhead season to start.  Basically, I've been trying to get as much wear out of the old pair as possible before I break out the new pair.  Needless to say, the old pair still leak despite several repairs.  I explored a new part of river today and was pretty dissapointed.  I walked about a mile up river from the access point and I found some beautiful looking water, after several casts through a run that should have produced something, I walked down into the run and came to find that the bottom was solid and flat, all shale with no structure of any kind.  There was a lot of this water in the new section I explored today, I found one riffell, run and pool that was littered with bolders on the bottom and caught two smallmouth, one was small and the other was an average sise fish for a resident river fish. The average fish was the big fish of the day.  There is a pic of the of that fish above.  Other than those bass, I also caught a few other smallies, and a blue gill.  It was a decent morning on the river.