Friday, October 30, 2009

Wishin I could be fishin…

The last two opportunities I had to get out and fish, I only had an hour or so to fish before dark. In that time I only managed one hook up due to the low, clear water, and the pressured fish. The few fish in the system at that time had really taken a pounding by all of the anglers out there, making them very weary of the fly. Each of those fish I hooked up with the last couple of times out was lost. One was a quick “on and off” and the other was a real fighter, jumping several times and eventually fighting its way free (see my last entry). It has been a couple of weeks since I have landed a steelhead. I have been in class everyday this past week, and all evening on Tuesday and Thursday. The only chance I had to get out and fish was Wednesday night and that was ruined by all of the rain we received Tuesday night and Wednesday morning blowing out the rivers. Yesterday (Thursday) was a gorgeous October day, the sun was shining and it was about 65 degrees. All I could do was stare out the classroom window and wish I were out there on the river somewhere hooking into the red hot fresh run steelhead I know came in during the last rain we received. This weekend is going to be spent in class as well. Responsibility sucks… I just wish I could go out and fish.