Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hot Cleveland Steel

I went out steelhead fishing on Monday, and Wednesday of this week. The water has been low and clear, the river has been flowing at around 100 CFM. There was about 36” of vis, maybe more. Both days were pretty good for me. Monday was better than Wednesday. Monday I went 3 for 5. Two of the fish were on the small end and the third was a nice fat chromer! All fish fought hard and went airborne several times. It is awesome to have a fish like that on the end of your line and see it leap two to three feet out of the water, cart wheel, tail dance and head shake in an effort to get free. It is even better when you bring that fish to hand! The big fish I caught on Monday was the biggest this season for me so far. It’s nice because each time I was out last week, until Sunday I had hooked up and lost the fish each time. It’s good to actually bring the fish in. I think I was over anxious to catch my first steelhead of the season and tried to force the fish in causing me to lose them. Wednesday, I went 1 for 2. Nobody else on the river was catching fish either day; making me one proud angler. I only took pics of two of Monday’s fish; the first small fish and the fat fish. The close up head shot is of the larger fish.  I didn’t bother taking a picture of Wednesday’s fish as it was not photo worthy in my opinion. So far this fall has been a pretty good one for Steelhead. Now we just need some more rain to bring in more fish and to allow them to move up river and spread out throughout the river system. We are expecting rain today, snow / rain tomorrow and Saturday. That’s a real good thing in my opinion.