Sunday, October 25, 2009

Beautiful fall afternoon on the river

I woke up, looked at how beautiful is was outside and wished I could go fishing. Sadly, responsibility called. I went and did home work all morning and then went to class at 1:00pm. I got to class and it was canceled for the day. The fishing gods heard my prayers and answered them! I drove home, grabbed my gear as fast as I could and headed for the river. I was on the water within an hour of leaving class. It was a gorgeous day. The trees looked amazing in their fall colors, temps in the 60’s, and the river was in good shape to fish; it was as close to perfect as you get this time of year. The river was still a little low and clear, but the rain we got Friday brought the flow up some. I fished through a good stretch of water and nothing. I found a sexy looking run and started at the head of the run and worked my way down. About half way down the run, I saw a steelhead porpoise. I thought to myself, I’m in the right place. Next cast, fish on! This fish ran right, leaped out of the water, ran left leaped out of the water again, and then it charged at me! I tried to pick line up as quickly as I could, the fish leaped out of the water a third time; this time it was right in my face!! After the fish landed in the water the tension in my line was gone. I saw the fish jump one last time, free from my hook, and splash down a few feet down river from where I was standing. I lost that steelhead :(. I saw a couple of other fish porpoise in that run, I fished it until I had to pack up and leave with no more success. Sadly, that was going to be my excitement for the day. Losing fish is so frustrating. Either way, just being out on the river instead of sitting in class was plenty to be happy about. I decided that it was a great afternoon even if that fish got away.