Saturday, August 8, 2009

Playing hookie...

I left work a little early yesterday afternoon and headed to the river. I had about two hours to fish, so I was trying to cover the water quickly. I came across a productive spot where I caught a couple of very large chubs (in the 14 inch range), a small mouth, a nice sized rock bass, and a carp. I have pictures of the carp and the rock bass below. For a quick afternoon outing, I was very happy with the fish I caught. The carp put up a hell of a fight. It went on several drag screaming runs and tried to get me all tangled up in the rip rap. I had to run down river after the fish and fight it out into open water to prevent getting all tangled in the rip rap and broken off. This fish was determined not be caught, still running in water so shallow half its body was above the surface. The fly of the day was a small crayfish fly. The same fly caught every fish I caught yesterday.