Monday, August 10, 2009

Out with a buddy

I usually fish alone. Yesterday I hit the river with a buddy I met while I was out fishing one day last spring. It was a really nice outing. It was great to have someone to talk to while walking in. We fished about 100 yards apart so it was like fishing alone in that regard. I thought it was nice because I didn't feel distracted like I have in the past when I was out fishing with other people. I actually got to focus on fishing. Now the funny part is that I never seem to do well while out with others, I guess it's some sort of performance anxiety. I hooked and lost two bass, one was of respectable size, the other was a smaller fish. The larger of the two was lost because the hook point on the fly was bent by snagging on something prior to hooking the fish. That made me angry because I usually inspect my flies after a snag and change them if they have been damaged. My buddy, who is a very accomplished fly fisher, caught several fish, a few small bass and a chub or two. I think we both had a great time and expect we'll fish together again sometime. I hope I do a little more catching the next time we hit the water together.