Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Low and clear

I have never seen the river as low as it was today. I checked the USGS flow gauge and it was running at 59 CFM. You could see bottom in even the deepest parts of the river. I expected the fishing to be really tough. I had about an hour to fish, it was between 5:00 and 6:00 so it was still bright and hot out. I started stripping streamers and caught a hefty rock bass. There is a picture below, it's the short and stocky fish. As I continued to fish down river, I started drifting crayfish patterns through a tailout and caught two other rock bass, two creek chubs, and two small mouth bass, one of which was a very respectable fish. There is a pictuire of the smallie below as well. Seven fish in an hours time was some great fishing. A lot better than I expected based on the conditions. It was a surprisingly good outing.