Sunday, July 26, 2009

New Water

I have been eyeballing a new fishing spot for some time that is at the headwaters of the stream I usually fish. I've seen the river from the road as drive, and I noticed a pull off where I could park. So after passing this place for years, I decided to fish it today. I went out more to scout the area than I did to fish. I left late, around 11:oo am. I got there and did not have much luck at first, but as I moved up and down river from where I accessed the river, the fishing got red hot! I caught 9 small mouth bass, 3 large creek chubs (13 inches), I caught a rock bass, a shiner, and I had a carp that broke off. This was all between 11:00 and 2:00. That is usually a horrible time to be on the river. This spot was awesome. The fish must get no angling pressure. They were eager to take all sorts of flies. I used several different bait fish patters swung and striped, and a Small cray fish dead drifted through a run were the ticket. I saw tone of cray fish everywhere. This was some of the best fishing on this river I have ever had. The only down side was all the bass were smaller, 12-14 inches (a skinny 14 inches); I guess that's how it is on smaller water. The where I was these were large fish. What the smallies lacked in size they made up for in attitude. One bass tried to attack another bass I had caught while I was bringing the fish in. The fish that tried to eat the other fish that I had on the line were the same size, aggressive little suckers!! There was lots of jumping, leaping, running into down trees and other tangles, it was an awesome afternoon on the river. I finished up and went into town to get a sandwich; all that fishing made me hungry. It was a very satisfying end to a fantastic day on the river.

Since I haven't posted a picture in a while, I took one of this small mouth. I thought to myself, the first two fish were too small too take pictures of. After the third fish was small too, I knew they were not going to get any bigger, so I took the picture. I caught a couple a little larger than the one pictured, but not much bigger.