Thursday, July 23, 2009

Greenhorn

I saw a friend last weekend and took him fly fishing. He's fly fished once before so he was somewhat comfortable with a fly rod. We went to a local stream near his house, we accessed the river at a park that the guy at the local fly shop recommended. I set him up just above a riffle and had him strip the fly down and through the riffle. He had been at it for a while when he hooked a fish! he was pretty surprised when the fish leaped out of the water, the look on his face was priceless. He struggled with inexperience to bring that fish in. After a short fight the fish was gone. He caught that bass, that's all that matters. We both saw it jump out of the water. I was witness. My friend was thrilled with the experience. I'm glad he caught a fish, I think it helps encourage him to fly fish. I think he's caught the bug, in fact he just bought his first fly rod. I think I've created a monster...