Wednesday, July 18, 2012

FUMBLIYA!


I went out last night for an hour of fishing before dark.  It was hot and humid.  It was 90 degrees when I left  the house and 85 when I got home.  It didn’t feel any cooler despite the 5 degree cool down.  The water was over 90 degrees and flowing at about 35 CFS.  It was a bit muddy from the rain the night before.  I caught several little fish on a white bugger at first.  I switched to a blue popper as dusk began to settle in.  I was working the shoreline near at the end of a fast run when a bass leaped out of the water taking the popper on the way up!  The fish fought hard and jumped a few more time before it was brought to hand.  I said to myself, ”wow, that was an awesome fish.”  I figured that was as good as it was going to get for the evening.  I continued to fish my way down river working the wood piles and rocks on the far bank with the popper.  As I had popped the fly from the bank to the middle of the stream, I was preparing to cast back to the bank and a fish slowly came to the surface and sipped in the fly.  I set the hook and pulled the fly from the fish’s mouth.  It was one of those frustrating moments that makes you say “DAMN” out loud like when you miss a long putt.  I cast the popper back to the same spot and let it sit for a moment.  A dark form appeared below the fly, slowly rose revealing its bronze sides, the fish was about to take a second swipe at the fly!  The bass sipped in the popper again, I let it turn and take it under before I set the hook and the fight was on!  As I was fighting the fish, I got a good look at it and it was a beast!  It must have been between 18-20”.  As I lipped the fish and picked it up out of water, I said to myself, “this is a trophy fish.”  As I said this out loud to myself, the fish flipped and flopped itself out of my hand and threw the fly at the same time.  Before I knew it the fish was gone.  No pictures of this beast, but I did have it in hand.  It was like catching a 50 yard pass, breaking through the secondary with no defender between you and the endzone, then triping and fumbling the ball on the 1 yardline.  It was a great fish, and a good moment on the river, but it could have been so much better!