Thursday, April 26, 2012

Last Time Out Before Lockdown


Before I get settled in studying for exams, I took an hour the other night to get a little fishing in on the Grand.  The day was sunny, and cool between 50 and 55 degrees, the water was about the same temperature, and it was a tad windy out.  The water was super low and clear running about 170 CFS, but I gave it a shot anyway.  I had heard there were still some steelhead to be caught and a good number of lake run smallmouth.  The fishing wasn’t great, as to be expected with low clear water.  The only sign of a steelhead I saw was a big dark shadow dart into deep water as I approached the stream.  The shadow could have been a steelhead, or a carp.  Who knows?  In the short time I had on the water, I only caught one fish.  I hooked into huge lake run smallie.  This fish was hands down the largest smallmouth I have ever caught!  It was so big that I had trouble getting a good picture of it.  Sadly, the pictures don't do this fish any justice.  Well, that does it for a while.  I’m on lockdown until after exams.  At least I have some trout fishing to look forward to when I’m done for the semester; it’s a nice little carrot on the end of a stick.
Largest smallmouth ever!  These are all of the same fish.



A couple of pictures of a Blue Heron I came across on a previous outing.