Monday, January 9, 2012

Central PA Trout Excursion

The busy pace of life can wear me down to the point where I feel like I’ve lost myself.  Work, school, and the hustle and bustle of life wears on me to the point I feel like I am living to finish the next assignment or complete the next deal.  Getting out on the water and fishing for a few days makes me feel like me again.  Flinging flies to wary trout is just what the doctor ordered to recharge the batteries.
With only a couple of days left before spring semester started I decided to head to Central PA to fish the limestoners.  I spent two nights and fished for three days.  The first two days were bitter cold, but I had the stream all to myself.  The last day was gorgeous, fifty degrees and sunny.  The sun seemed to make the fish more wary and brought plenty of anglers out to enjoy the nice day.  The flow was up, a little less than double the average flow for this time of year, but clarity was good.  I fished nymphs and streamers.  I saw a couple of blue wing olives fluttering around, but not enough of a hatch to start the fish rising.  To match the olives, I fished an olive soft hackle in sizes eighteen and twenty which took a few fish. 

On the last two trips to PA I caught a trout over twenty inches.  On this trip, the largest fish was about eighteen inches.  The couple of fish I caught on a streamer were really aggressive when they slammed the fly.  Some of the smaller fish I caught were really scrappy jumping, flipping and running hard in an attempt to throw the hook.   Over all the fishing was good and I had a great time.