Friday, July 23, 2010

Staying cool on a hot night...

I fished on Tuesday night after work for a few hours. The sky was gray, there was a threat of rain and it was hot and humid. I went to a good steelhead spot and thought I’d find some good smallmouth fishing. I was wrong. I did manage to catch two fish, but I expected it to be much better than it was. I’m not sure why. I suspect that the invading steelhead eat many of the juvenile bass so it seems the bass population is poor in the area as a result. The first fish I caught was average sized. I caught the fish next to a downfall on the edge of a run. The second fish I caught was a good sized fish. This fish was hanging out in the slack water between two faster currents right on the seam. As the fly was sinking the fish crushed it shortly after it hit the surface. It was a nice evening on the river. There is no better way to stay cool on a hot night than to slip on a pair of shorts and chase river bass!