Friday, November 23, 2012

November: low water and beautiful days


This fall has been marked by low water and warm weather, not exactly the kind of stuff steelhead dreams are made of.  There was one maybe two weeks of good fishing after the rains brought in by the remnants of Sandy, too bad I was trapped in the law library and didn’t have a chance to get out for the fun.

I made sure I got out for a day last weekend as a birthday gift to myself and I also managed to log a few hours of river time Wednesday after work.  The water was low and clear.  The sun was high and bright, the air temps were in the mid to high 50s; it seemed like late September or early September.

I began by swing streamers as I worked my way down stream and indicator fished my way back up to the car.  In two days of fishing I had one grab, but didn’t connect.  That was it.  It was disappointing in the catching department.  The days were absolutely beautiful and I had the water to mostly myself, not bad consolation prizes.

It rained this morning, but not enough.  Later today and tomorrow they’re calling for snow.  Sadly, I don’t see fishing conditions improving before the end of the weekend.