Sunday, September 16, 2012

Small Stream Fishing

Rain late in the week has made the larger rivers unfishable over the weekend, the one time I have a chance to get out and wet a line.  Forced to seek smaller water to find fishable conditions, I’ve fished small streams for the last three weekends.  I’ve fished a couple of class A trout streams in PA, a tributary to the Chagrin, and the Clear Fork of the Mohican.  I went to PA and the Clear Fork in search of trout that turned out to be illusive.  Water temps in the PA streams were at 68 degrees, a bit too warm form trout to actively feed.  The water was low and clear on both PA streams and the clear fork.  The trout in were illusive in both places.  I still caught several creek chubs, sunfish, bass and I even caught a wild steelhead par.  Casting and getting a good drift was challenging.  The scenery was beautiful.  The solitude was relaxing.  Most of the fishing done was with dry flies.  I have to say, the thrill of a fish rising to a fly and eating from the surface never gets old. 

PA Streams


 
 
Chagrin Tributary

 

 
 
Clearfork