Sunday, April 24, 2011

Fishing the Starbucks special…

After peaking just over 5000 CFS on Wednesday, the river had dropped to just over 600 CFS and was just about to be fishable Friday when it began raining.  After a meeting with my TA, I had an hour or two before dinner so I hit the stream near the house to swing big nasty streamers for some chrome.  It rained the whole time I was on the water and the visibility went from bad to worse.  I didn’t catch any steelhead, but I did land a trophy size bronze back on a 4” leach pattern.  This fish’s mouth was as big around as a pop can.  This was easily one of the largest smallmouth I have ever caught.  I forgot my camera so I didn’t get a picture.  Not a bad consolation prize for a couple hours of fishing a river that looked for like a mocha latte while it was pouring rain.  Sometimes you have to take what the river will give you and make the best of it.