Monday, February 14, 2011

Deep Freeze

It’s been a long winter so far, no open water around here.  Cabin fever is running high.  Most anglers I know have taken to digging holes in the ice and dropping jigs for pan fish.  Ice scares the bejesus out of me, you won't catch me standing on a frozen body of water.


Pretty well locked up





The only fishing I have done since the New Year was about 200 miles away from home in the limestone creeks of Pennsylvania. School has kept me far from any stream. Even if there was a place to fish I haven’t had the time. I made it out once, on a day I didn’t have school, a few weeks back before we got hit by the deep freeze. The air temp was OK, but the river was pretty well iced over. I managed to avoid the skunk by catching a small sucker fish. I guess it was better than nothing.



Itty Bitty Sucker Fish


I have a day off of school next week so I’m planning to head back to PA for a day of trout fishing. I’ve been tying up some flies for that trip. I’ve been getting the gear ready, watching the weather, checking the fishing reports.  I just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope the weather does not take a last minute turn for the worst.  I have this one small window to fish, then that's it until mid-March when I have Spring Break.  I have to make this one count.


Filling the nymph box for the upcoming trout trip