Friday, March 19, 2010

An afternoon full of sun and steel!

I hit the river again today. The river finally dropped into shape, the color was decent and there was reasonable visibility. There were a lot of anglers out and it was hard to find a decent spot to fish. Finally I found some open water, it was a good run that I’ve fished before. I worked it hard, dissecting every nook and cranny of the run. I caught a “skipper” and kept fishing through.  The fish was dime bright.  At the head of the run I hooked into a real bruiser, the fish fought so hard it broke my tippet. I was pissed. I continued to fish up stream and caught another fish, a little larger than the first, near a tree in the water. I continued fishing up stream until it was time to head out. I hooked up one more time with no success. All in all it was a beautiful day on the river (65 degrees! and sunny) and I caught a couple of steelhead. Who can complain about that?